Section 3 - Equipment

Now you need to decide what equipment you have. Usually, the GM sets a reasonable cost and weight for each item of equipment requested by a player. Weapons and armor are a special case, however, since their use involves more intricate game mechanics. This section will give you enough information to let you choose your combat gear intelligently.

You start with money equal to the campaign starting wealth, modified by your personal wealth level. The Equipment list provided in this section are items that are found

Starting Wealth Table

TL Age Amount
TL 0 Prehistoric 240 CR
TL 1 Bronze Age 500 CR
TL 2 Iron Age l 750 CR
TL 3 Medieval 1000 CR
TL 4 Age of Sail 2000 CR
TL 5 Industrial Age 5000 CR
TL 6 Mechanized Age 10k CR
TL 7 Digital Age 30,000 CR
TL 8 Modern Dark Age 10,000 CR
TL 9 Star League Age 50,000 CR
TL 10 Lost Technology Age 75,000 CR

Starting wealth” covers both money and property. Start with the amount of money your wealth level entitles you to for your game world. Buy the possessions you want to start with. Any unspent money is your “bank account.”

Realistically, if you have a settled lifestyle, you should put 80% of your starting wealth into home, clothing, etc., which leaves only 20% for “adventuring” gear. If you are a wanderer (pioneer, knight, Solider, Free Trader, etc.), or Poor or worse, the GM might allow you to spend all your starting wealth on movable possessions.

All prices in GURPS appear in currency of the Stella Sigma Sector: a convenient abbreviation for any baseline unit of currency suitable to the setting. See currency section.

Tech level determines starting wealth, as technologically advanced societies tend to be richer. The table to the side is a comparison of TLs and suggested starting wealth.


At the dawn of the Star League Empire and at it's height of it's galactic conquest, the emperor has enforced a standards based on old earth values, that date back to the roman empire. One of them was currency. the conquered alien races were forced to adopt the currency standard and values of persouses metals such as silver, gold, and platinum. Among these materials the Elven Star became a highly sorted exchange as it was universally understood the elven imperium had stood the test of time due to the long life spans of elves.

From then forth the galactic economics's foundations found them selves using a metallic standard to back up what then was known as Star League Credits. Today the Confederation has renamed them to Galactic Credits universally accepted by most advance civilizations. Prehaps in the more primitive locations where Confederation Banks are not totally trusted or accepted by them the coinage left behind by the Star League empire still exist.

Armor & Shields

Armor provides a barrier between you and your foes—or, put more bluntly, between you and death. It’s in your best interest to wear the finest armor you can. This section includes information on shields, which improve your defensive capabilities.


Weapon tables provide the items of information explained below. A given column will only appear on a table if it is germane to the weapons on that table. In all cases, “–” means the statistic does not apply, and “var.” means the value varies.

General Equipment

From meals to lanterns, adventuring gear is essential to those who dare take on the wilderness of the cosmos. You're assumed to start with basic clothing, (although there are several different kinds), and before your first adventure, you should equip yourself with weapons, armor, and other gear.

Carrying Weapons and Other Gear

You can normally carry one item per hand. This doesn’t preclude your having a shield strapped to your arm – but if you do, your shield hand can only hold, not wield, a weapon or other handheld device, and you cannot use items that require two free hands, like a bow, rifle, or guitar.

You can also stow gear about your person, leaving your hands free. You can carry a one-handed item no larger than a sword or a pistol in a scabbard or holster on each hip; an item of that size or larger (e.g., a two-handed weapon like a rifle or a greatsword) slung over your back; and, with appropriate sheaths, one small item or weapon (like a knife or holdout pistol) per wrist or ankle. If you have clothing with pockets, you can stow one extra item per side pocket. A shoulder holster lets you strap a pistol-sized item over your chest.

You can carry additional equipment in a bag, pack, or case, but it takes several seconds to remove it and get it ready.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License